Remember the fantasy game with the little toys? Yeah. Well, Ben's friend J decided to play this game, so Ben decided to drive with him to this mall that is really, really far away that contains the only official store that sells this game. And, for some reason, I decided to go with them, for lack of having anything better to do.
We arrived at the mall around 4:30, and since we went after my only Wednesday class at 3:00, there was nobody there. Uber-nerdy fantasy game stores don't exactly attract droves on weekdays. The employees there, a nice guy named Austin and an Irish guy named John, looked really, really excited to see us, if only to have a break from the monotony of an empty store. J ended up buying a box of Elf figures, and seriously, I don't know how this happened... but I let Ben buy one, too.
The guys decided to plop down at the hobby table to start painting their figures. We all sat for awhile and talked with the employees as they told us the intricacies of the game. I'm going to be honest, here. It sounded kind of fun.
I really, really like video games. I grew up playing them, being the socially awkward single child that I was, and the passion lingered with me. Our shared love for video games very likely contributed to Ben and I getting married. So as Austin and John detailed the intricate, realistic rules for in-game battle, I found myself really, really wanting to play. Plus, one of the races you could choose was all pretty cavalry and flying horses - and I really, really love horses.
So... a few minutes later, I sat down next to the guys with my own box of The Toys. We spent a little while painting at the store, then went home and continued. At this point I realized that my fine motor skills were about equivalent to those of a skilled 6th grader. Needless to say, my pink horses were a little... well, weird and clumpy. Ben's turned out beautiful. So, now that I wasted a good chunk of time - it's off to do homework. Stupid freaking fantasy figurines. They should not exist when unemployed people are running amok.
Nonetheless, I think some good came of this. As I'm writing this, I look over at my husband, hunched over and painting his little regiment of warriors, and I can see a wide grin spread across his face.
No comments:
Post a Comment